|Fawn Dungeon Prototype|
Ward Shrake dumped the prototype of Fawn Dungeon. He needed to repair a leg on the EPROM to get a proper dump. These are pictures of the repair in progress. Here is his edited original posting to the Astrocade discussion group about this subject. I edited the posting so that all of it is pertinent to the pictures:
From: ward_shrake Received: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 AM Subject: Re: Fawn Dungeon - 2''nd Version Message: 5352 [...] I then did a fairly straight-forward-but-somewhat-advanced repair: in essence, I made a new leg to replace one that was missing. A section of 26 gauge, single-strand wire was partially stripped; then partially tinned. I bent it around the chip, so that the tinned section was near the area I wanted it to be attached to: with the rest of the wire just there because it's a heck of a lot easier to control the repair work if you can get your fingers around a part, instead of using tweezers. I put the work in a third-hand holding device (with the alligator clips holding the excess wire onto the chip, reasonably tightly). I used a small screwdriver to apply gentle pressure to another portion of the wire that wasn't in my way; and then heated the two parts for a few seconds, using a temperature-controlled Weller soldering station. I sort of wicked most of the excess solder along the wire and away from the important repair area; then let it cool down for a few minutes. (Sort of like a kid wiping his nose on his sleeve; except with solder.) The final step was to carefully cut the wire down to its final length, using some sharp wire strippers that also work like strong scissors. [...] Ward Shrake
Ward's posting is much more in-depth than what is included above. For complete information about the fix, read the whole posting on the Bally Alley Yahoo Group.